Monday 12 March 2012

The Jeweller in Arabia

Yep, this jeweller is currently exploring Arabia!! I write to you today from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

I was a little tentative upon departure from Australia last Thursday, as this is a place that I previously knew very little about. I am visiting an old friend who is living in Dubai, and knew I’d be very well looked after during my visit, but honestly I did not expect what I have found here. What a surprise this place is! Talk about multicultural! People from every part of the globe are making their lives in Dubai and when you walk down the street you see every type of dress imaginable from Brits and Aussies getting around in singlets, shorts and thongs, to traditional Arab garments and saris. This is the most relaxed, peaceful, and accepting place I have ever witnessed. If you are respectful of the local people and their customs and beliefs, they are equally respectful of yours. Now, I am not saying the entire continent is like this, but Dubai is certainly an amazingly relaxed place. Honestly, my cheeks are getting sore from grinning!!

So, on to the jewellery. A few days ago my friend Mike took me down to Dubai’s Gold Souk.  WOW! Streets lined with shops selling masses of 22k yellow gold. Rows of bangles, earrings, necklaces, rings, bullion and coins. This jeweller had never seen such a volume of precious metal in her life!


Amongst all that bling lies the largest gold ring in the world. This thing is so big that I think I could stand inside of it, pull it up around my waist and still have room to spare. Residing at Kanz Jewels, the ring is MASSIVE! Sitting proudly in the window next to this magnificent object is a certificate from the Guinness Book of World Records.
 

This ridiculous golden ring is crafted in solid 21k gold and is named the Namjat (Star of) Taiba. The outer diameter of the ring measures 700mm and the piece weighs in at a whopping 63.87kgs. It houses an impressive 5.1kgs of crystal stones and reputably took 55 workers 45 days to complete.

More from Arabia soon.
Love from The Jeweller. xx

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your inspirations, influences & ideas you bring bring into your designs, perhaps not a 63kg chunk of jewels!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete