Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Ring With a Hinge

During my first six months out of university I was working as the manufacturer in a jewellery shop in central Wagga Wagga. It was during this time that I met my mentor Michael. With many years experience in the industry and the patience of a saint, he is always happy to teach me new skills. It was Michael who showed me how to construct a special hinge that he adds to rings for clients who are affected by arthritis.

Early on in my market days, Katrina and her husband Ken came by my market stall. Katrina admired some of the rings that I had on display and mentioned how terribly disappointing it was that she could no longer get any of her rings over the arthritis-riddled joints of her fingers. Remembering Michael's novel design, I offered to try remodelling Katrina's old rings into a hinged ring. Katrina and Ken were much more confident in my abilities than I was at that point. With a 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' attitude, they handed over Katrina's original engagement, wedding and eternity rings to see what I could come up with.

After a practise go in silver, I melted down Katrina's old rings and created a new hinged ring shank with a simple, but strong bezel setting for her engagement ring diamond. Add a couple of side stones from the original eternity ring and Katrina's new ring was complete.


After many years of being unable to wear her precious wedding ring, it was with tears of joy that Katrina clipped her new hinged ring onto her hand. To date, this was my proudest moment as a jeweller, one that I doubt will ever be eclipsed.

Love from The Jeweller. xx

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I will remember that for people I know that might need the same thing done.

    ReplyDelete