Wednesday 25 April 2012

The Jeweller in Arabia Part Three- Being a Tourist

In my earlier blog post "The Jeweller in Arabia", I shared with you the experience of the Dubai Gold Souk and seeing the world's largest gold ring. Then in "The Jeweller in Arabia Part Two- Pattern Inspiration" I showed you some of the inspiring Islamic patterns that I discovered in the UAE, which are bound to influence my future work. Everything I do seems to somehow relate back to my profession as a jeweller and whilst I did spend a lot of my holiday gawping at the scenery and contemplating how it may influence my work in some way, it was a holiday and I did do my fair share of touristy stuff. Today's post is a rather non-jewellery one, with some pretty tourist pictures of my holiday in the United Arab Emirates.

So, other than thinking jewellery, what did I get up to during my time in Arabia? Well, I lazed by the pool with a book, walked along the beach, and shopped 'til I dropped, of course! I ate in fine restaurants and street side cafes, discovering a new obsession with fresh hummus and chocolate covered dates. I toured Abu Dhabi's Grand Mosque and learnt about the Emirati culture and religion. I shopped in the souks and world famous malls with their indoor ski slopes and giant aquariums. I scaled Burj Khalifa, the world's highest building, and had a drink at the Atlantis Hotel on a giant man-made island in the shape of a palm tree. I explored the desert, rode a camel and had a close encounter with a peregrine falcon. I watched the musical fountains and marvelled at the city lights by night with a drink in hand and a smile a mile wide. All in the company of my fabulous friend and personal tour guide Mike who is living and working in Dubai. I'm sure I could go on, but I'll let my pictures do the talking. Here is a selection of some of my favourite snaps from Arabia.




Yes, it truly was an amazing holiday. Enough bragging from me today. More adventures, and plenty of jewellery stories from me soon.
Thanks for reading!

Love from The Jeweller. xx

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see how your Arabian adventures influence your creations. I'm a huge fan of Islamic art and keen to see what you come up with. Enjoy ...

    ReplyDelete