Friday 27 January 2012

The Jeweller is Getting a New Bathroom!

In my very first blog post, "New Year, New Resolutions, New Blog!", I stated (rather loudly) that this year I am aiming to maintain a more healthy balance between personal and professional life. So, I think it is about time for a personal blog post or two.

My life is currently being consumed by a complete bathroom renovation! It is very exciting you see, as I have been living in a home with an outhouse for the last two and a half years.

We purchased our little shack in April 2009 for a bargain price which was barely more than the value of the block of land. The home was one of those real "renovator's delight" kind of properties. Although, we were attracted to the price and location, rather than the idea of fixing it up. The home is just one block away from a lovely lake and great little shopping centre, whilst still being only 15 minutes from town and our workshops. Before moving in we stripped the walls, painted, laid new carpet in the bedrooms, and put some doors on. Once these minor improvements had been made, the home was at least liveable. The minimal mortgage has meant we have been able to live rather luxuriously, with overseas trips, dinners out at the best restaurants, and nice vehicles to drive. I'd much rather live in a shack and have a high quality of life than live in a mansion and be constantly worried about cash flow.

BUT, in saying all that, our bathroom was TERRIBLE! Ugly, unfinished, cramped, impossible to clean, and with no toilet. I have been dreaming of ripping out that bathroom ever since we moved in. Here is the OLD bathroom, as it was when we purchased the house.

Last week, it was with great pleasure that we demolished the bathroom. Everything came out, floor, walls and all. Here are some images of the bathroom de-construction and the CURRENT state of my bathroom.

It is the first time that I have ever had the opportunity to design an entire room from the ground up. I have enjoyed choosing all the fixtures and fittings from tiles, to taps, the bath tub, and a TOILET! I will proudly reveal the results of my renovating when the bathroom is complete. Unfortunately that is some time away, as whilst the rest of my bathroom will be complete in a matter of weeks, the gorgeous vanity that I have designed my room around is being made overseas and won't be here for some months yet. In the meantime, enjoy this little concept montage that I have created for you using bits and pieces from my NEW bathroom.

Love from The Jeweller. xx

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh I recognise the male/female signs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, aren't the WC signs fabulous!? They are by the gorgeous Sydney girls Michel and Jessie from "Mooza Designs". I bought them at a market a couple of years ago where we shared side-by-side stalls. They have been the influence behind my whole colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so cute!! Love the signs & the colour scheme, wow, the whole bathroom will look stunning. Love the spin on your life, living within your means & allowing to free up cash for travel & a fun lifestyle, as you should in your mid 20s!! We did too, only with 3-4 children, but we still travelled & had a blast. I can't wait to see the progress in a few weeks, yahoo, love Posie

    ReplyDelete