Friday 6 January 2012

The Road to Becoming a Jeweller (part two)

By now I guess you might be wondering which path I chose on my journey to becoming a jeweller. Well, I took the "University Route". Upon finishing my Higher School Certificate, I wanted to go to university. At first I wasn't even sure what I wanted to study! I just knew that I wanted further education before entering the work force. I looked at creative degrees from fine arts through to acting and even considered studying a Bachelor of Education to become a primary school teacher, but in the end, I knew I wanted to be an artist.
Four Origami Box Rings from my university graduating body of work.
Photograph by Emily Snadden.
My HSC major project for visual arts was a sculptural artwork in aluminium wire, so I went looking for something to study in the arts/sculpture field. Flipping through a printed guide of all the different university degrees available in the year to come, I came across some gold and silversmithing, and jewellery degrees. That's when it dawned on me. Jewellery was the most practical application for this little sculptor, with reasonable employment prospects for the future. In went my applications and before the HSC results were even released, I received a PREP (principal's recommendation entry program) offer for a position in the Bachelor of Arts (Jewellery) Degree at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga.

My reward for three years of hard work- A Bachelor of Arts (Jewellery) With Distinction.
So in 2005 I moved from my tiny home town of 1,500 people in Central West NSW, down to the much bigger country town of Wagga Wagga. My major subject was jewellery, and I minored in business studies and photography. After three years of full time studying, learning and practising my skills, I graduated from university with distinction.

My best study buddy Fred (left) and me (right) waiting for our graduation ceremony.
Well, that's the beginning of my journey as a jeweller. Next time I'll share the story of some of my earliest work; my first commission!

Love from The Jeweller. xx

1 comment:

  1. Yay, love it & such a cute snap at the end, yay!! It sounds like such a wonderfully well rounded degree & i'm feeling pretty darn lucky that i own one of your origami box rings, it always attracts lots of attention & comments. My husband often takes it off my finger & puts it on one of his, he likes to play with it too.
    So loving the stories, i think so many people could learn from this angle, especially that the degree included business & photography, how much do you draw on those skills each day?? Fantastic!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete