Sunday 13 May 2012

The Fibonacci Cufflinks

A couple of months ago I made a pair of custom cufflinks featuring the Fibonacci spiral for Lynelle. She wanted a special gift for her mathematician husband Mark for their 20th wedding anniversary, and commissioned me to make the cufflinks which she had designed herself. Below is the perfect little set of instructions that Lynelle drew up for me, with an accurate description of exactly what she wanted made.

So I set to work handcrafting the precise little spirals from 18ct yellow gold and soldered each spiral to a sterling silver base. The cufflinks were then carefully finished off with contrasting surfaces- matte for the base and a high polish on the spirals. And here is the result!

But, the story doesn't end here; the real tale began after the cufflinks were complete! On the weekend before Lynelle and Mark's wedding anniversary, I was heading to Canberra's Old Bus Depot Markets where I had arranged for Lynelle to collect Mark's gift. I got up bright and early to hit the road only to find I was unable to go anywhere. You see, I live in Wagga Wagga and you may remember that we had quite a lot of flooding here in early March. Driving all around my suburb, I was shocked to realise that I was cut off by flood waters in every direction.

With no way for me to deliver the special gift on time, Lynelle hatched a plan to present Mark with a gift box containing a photograph of his new cufflinks. I emailed a picture through to her and she printed it off, wrapping it up inside of the velvet box that housed her precious 21st birthday pearls. On the morning of their anniversary, after being presented with his photograph, Mark dressed for work with the rolled up picture tucked mockingly into his cuffs, giving Lynelle a good laugh.

Earlier this week I received an email from Lynelle in which she said, "How ABSOLUTELY PERFECT the cufflinks are! Mark loves them and wears them at least once a week. He recently asked me to hand him some links as I was walking past his collection, and when I asked which ones he just said 'the best ones' - which, of course, I took to mean the Fibonacci!"

Thanks for being such good sports about that little delivery hitch and congratulations Lynelle and Mark on your twenty years of marriage. Here's to the next twenty!

Love from The Jeweller. xx

2 comments:

  1. So so SOOOO cool! Now, what can I get you to make for my favourite hydrologist? ;-)

    Keep up the great blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask Karin... I have done some cufflinks with gorgeous Japanese style waves in the past! Thanks for reading!

      Delete