Thursday 10 May 2012

The Golden Guitar Plectrum

This unusual job came about when muso Chris came upon my stall at Canberra's Old Bus Depot Markets. Striking up a conversation about gold and silversmithing with Japonicity staff member Caitlin, he asked if it was possible to melt down some gold rings to be formed into a guitar plectrum. The answer, "Of course!"

Caitlin ran the idea by me and I was immediately interested. Chris was not necessarily after a pick to play music with, more an object to hold (kind of like a worry stone). The gold he had for me to use was from his parents' wedding rings. He felt a sentimental attachment to the rings, but not being a jewellery wearer himself, he wanted to give them new life in an object that would be significant to him.

I love the shape of the little plectrum that Chris gave me to copy. The smooth curves of the surface feel so good to hold and caress. What a beautiful way to bring new life to some old jewellery. It would make a beautiful pendant or charm too. Maybe it will be turned back into jewellery in its next incarnation.

Love from The Jeweller. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment