Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Melt Down - Dorothy's Ring

I'm finding myself a little short of writing time at the moment! So, with the resolve to tell all sorts of new stories next month, here is one from last year. Those of you who 'like' my Kidson Jewellery facebook page will recognise this little tale from October 2011.

I seldom remember to take 'before' photos of the pieces that I remodel. I get so excited about the prospect of a new creation that I hastily cut out the stones, throw the gold into my crucible and melt it all down. Then later I find myself thinking, "Damn, I've done it again!". But this time, a request for the 'before' photo from the client helped me to remember (yay!).

Dorothy inherited some very special and sentimental rings and after much consideration decided to have them remodelled. She did not like the old fashioned style, high settings and yellow gold and knew that she would get much more enjoyment out of wearing the precious diamonds in a new white gold ring of her own style. So, here is what I had to work with - the 'before' photo.


Dorothy came to me with a collection of different pictures that she had gathered online. We sat down and discussed which features she liked from each of the images she had brought me. I then designed a unique ring using those features, and incorporating the collection of diamonds from her inheritance. Drumroll...... and here is the result - the 'after' photo.


This is one of my favourite remodelling results ever. I told her if she didn't like the ring, I was happy to keep it. But of course, she LOVES it! Thanks Dot, for giving me the opportunity to work with you and bring new life to these old diamonds. May they be enjoyed for many years to come.

Love from The Jeweller. xx

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!

    :)

    Everyday I'm sure she STILL gazes at it in awe!!!

    ReplyDelete